21.8 C
New York

PTI Vice Chairman Shah Mahmood Qureshi Released from Jail, Plans to Meet Party Chief for Guidance


- Advertisement -

After spending nearly a month in Adiala Jail, Shah Mahmood Qureshi, the Vice Chairman of the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI), was released on Tuesday. Qureshi stated that he intends to meet PTI chief Imran Khan the following day to discuss his analysis of the current political situation in the country.

Qureshi was arrested by the Islamabad police last month on various charges, including inciting violent protests, following Imran Khan’s arrest in the Al-Qadir Trust case on May 9. Although the Islamabad High Court ordered Qureshi’s release on May 18, his release was delayed due to his reluctance to provide an undertaking to refrain from participating in unruly protests.

Finally, on May 23, Qureshi was set free. However, he was subsequently detained again by the Punjab police outside Adiala Jail based on detention orders issued by the Rawalpindi deputy commissioner.

Earlier today, the Rawalpindi bench of the Lahore High Court ordered Qureshi’s immediate release and nullified his detention orders. Speaking to reporters outside the jail, Qureshi expressed his gratitude to God, his family, the PTI, the courts, and his legal team for their relentless efforts to secure his release.

Having spent a month in solitary confinement, Qureshi emphasized that he had reflected on various matters during his time in jail. He intends to meet Imran Khan and present his political analysis while seeking guidance from the party leader.

Addressing PTI supporters, Qureshi acknowledged the challenging times but urged them not to lose hope, assuring them that dawn follows every night. He also expressed his determination to pursue the cases of countless innocent people who he believes should be released from different jails.

In a separate hearing, the Punjab police submitted a report to the Lahore High Court’s principal seat, disclosing that a total of nine cases were registered against Qureshi in Punjab. Five cases were lodged in Multan, while the remaining were in Lahore. The charges against Qureshi include sections related to terrorism and vandalism at the Jinnah House and other locations.

With his release from jail and the Lahore High Court’s intervention, Shah Mahmood Qureshi can now actively participate in political activities and engage with his party. The upcoming meeting between Qureshi and Imran Khan is anticipated to shed light on their discussions and potential strategies for the PTI’s future endeavors.

- Advertisement -

Related articles

Recent articles